24 December 2009

2009: Year in Albums

Favorite albums of 2009:
  1. Yeasayer: All Hour Cymbals*
  2. John Vanderslice: Romanian Names
  3. Iron and Wine: Around the Well
  4. Neko Case: Middle Cyclone
  5. Lou Barlow: Goodnight Unknown
  6. Various: Dark Was the Night
  7. Bifrost Arts: Salvation is Created (A Christmas Record)
  8. The Mountain Goats: The Life of the World to Come
  9. Fanfarlo: Reservoir
*Yeasayer gets an asterisk, because All Hour Cymbals came out in 2007. However, the first I ever heard of them was their track on Dark Was the Night, and they're my favorite "new-to-me" band of this year.

A few late 2008 live/B-side collections that I listened to a lot this year were Belle & Sebastian's The BBC Sessions, Patty Griffin's Live from the Artist's Den, and Bob Dylan's wonderful Tell Tale Signs. In addition, there are a few older records that I finally discovered this year: Jeff Buckley's Grace (1994), Elliott Smith's posthumous From a Basement on the Hill (2004), and the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee (2002).

Not sure how this will work, but I made a sampler from these favorite albums using Rhapsody, which you can probably access here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

John G. Potter said...

Oh, Anonymous, you so crazy!

Great list, Dave, and nice work with the Rhapsody playlist. I find it difficult to believe that you are just listening to "Grace" for the first time, but then, you've surprised me in the past.

Nice doing the stomp with you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.