30 June 2008

14 G-Rod is not a well-regulated militia.

I have to confess ignorance on the whole DC handgun ban controversy. I guess I got so used to seeing headlines about the case in the Washington Post and on DCist that I never bothered to read any of the articles. So when the Supreme Court ruling came down last week, before I could think about questions of crime or liberty, I had to overcome my initial shocked reaction: You mean handguns weren't already legal in DC? Could've fooled me. There certainly have been a lot of patriots exercising their second amendment rights in spite of the ban over the years, from the Capitol to the block next to the Sojourners intern house. The University of Maryland men's basketball program even did its part to protest this tyranical law. Antonin Scalia shall vindicate you all, faithful Americans.

No comments: